The "Regulation and Competition" department concentrates on research and consulting in regulatory and competition issues that arise in electronic communications, energy (Smart Energy) and related markets. These relate in particular to
- access to scarce resources (spectrum and numbers);
- access to networks (asymmetric regulation of operators with significant market power, symmetric regulation of access bottlenecks);
- consumer protection and universal service;
- merger and abuse cases under competition law;
- evolution of smart grids, smart metering (advanced metering infrastructure)
- analysis of communication technologies enabling Smart Energy appliances; and
- analysis of new business models in energy markets.
Research results are intended to contribute to the further development of the regulatory framework in the European Union.